#WalangPasok: Updated List of Work and Class cancellations for August 23, 2022 (Tuesday)
Manila, Philippines – Several Local Government Units and Schools in the Philippines have suspended classes and government work on Tuesday, August 23, 2022, due to Tropical Storm Florita (Ma-on) and the southwest monsoon.
Walang Pasok Updates: August 23, Martes
(As of 10:01pm, August 22, 2022) Here’s an updated list of towns, cities, and schools that canceled classes/work on Tuesday:
- Quezon Province – Pre-school, Elementary & Secondary (public and private) (source)
- Montalban, Rizal – Pre-school (public and private) (source)
- Santa Maria, Famy, Siniloan, Pangil, Pakil, and Paete – Pre-school (public and private) (source)
- Cagayan Province – preschool to graduate school and work in all government offices (source)
- Aurora (and a separate announcement by Dingalan) – preschool to senior high school (public and private)
- Zaragoza, Nueva Ecija – PRE-SCHOOL AT KINDER (PUBLIC & PRIVATE) (source)
- Mariveles, Bataan – Day Care to Senior High, Public and Private (source)
- Balanga City – daycare, elementary and high school (daycare and K to 12) (public and private) (source)
Cordillera Administrative Region
- Baguio City – preschool to senior high school (public and private)
La Trinidad, Benguet – preschool to senior high school (public and private) (source)
Tublay, Benguet – preschool to senior high school (public and private) (source)
- Ilocos Norte – all levels (public and private)
- Ilocos Sur – all levels (public and private)
- La Union
- Binmaley – preschool to senior high school (public and private)
- Basista, Pangasinan – preschool to senior high school (public and private) (source)
- Bugallon, Pangasinan – all levels (public and private) (source)
- Calasiao – preschool to senior high school (public and private)
- Lingayen – preschool to senior high school (public and private)
- Urdaneta City – all levels (public and private)
Lingayen – DayCare to Secondary (Public and Private)
Mangatarem – Classes in All Levels (Public and Private) and Work in All Government Institutions
Calasiao – Kinder to Secondary (Public and Private)
Aguilar – Kinder to Secondary (Public and Private)
Mapandan – Nursery to Secondary (Public and Private)
Sta. Barbara – Prep to Secondary (Public and Private)
Urbiztondo – Prep to Secondary (Public and Private)
Burgos – Preschools (Public and Private)
- Dagupan City – all levels (public and private)
Forecast Weather Conditions Issued at 4:00 PM, 22 August 2022
|Place||Weather Condition||Caused By||Impacts|
|Cagayan, Isabela, Quirino, and Aurora||Stormy||TS FLORITA||Possible flash floods or landslides due to heavy to torrential rains. Moderate to heavy damage to structures and vegetation possible due to damaging to destructive storm-force winds winds|
|Cordillera Administrative Region, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, and Polillo Island||Rains with Gusty winds||TS FLORITA||Possible flash floods or landslides due to moderate to heavy rains. Very light to light damage to structures and vegetation possible due to moderate to strong winds|
|Metro Manila, the rest of Luzon, Visayas, and Zamboanga Peninsula||Cloudy skies with scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms||Trough of TS Florita / Southwest Monsoon||Possible flash floods or landslides due to moderate to at times heavy rains|
|The rest of Mindanao||Partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms||Localized Thunderstorms||Possible flash floods or landslides during severe thunderstorms|
Tropical Storm Florita Update (Issued at 11:00 pm, 22 August 2022)
(Valid for broadcast until the next advisory to be issued at 2:00 AM tomorrow)
TROPICAL STORM “FLORITA” SLIGHTLY INTENSIFIES AS IT CONTINUES TO MOVE SLOWLY WESTWARD.
- HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND AREAS
- Heavy Rainfall
- Tonight through tomorrow: Heavy to intense with at times torrential rains over Cagayan, Isabela, Cordillera Administrative Region, Ilocos Region, and Zambales. Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Aurora, Quezon, Bataan, and the rest of Cagayan Valley. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains over Metro Manila, CALABARZON, and the rest of Central Luzon.
- Wednesday early morning through afternoon: Heavy to intense with at times torrential rains over Ilocos Region, Benguet, and Abra. Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over the rest of Cordillera Administrative Region. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains over Cagayan Valley.
- In the next 24 hours, the Southwest Monsoon will also bring monsoon rains over Western Visayas, MIMAROPA and the rest of Bicol Region. For more information, refer to the Weather Advisory #3 issued at 11:00 PM today.
- Under these conditions, scattered to widespread flooding (including flash floods) and rain-induced landslides are expected especially in areas that are highly or very highly susceptible to these hazard as identified in hazard maps, and in localities with significant antecedent rainfall.
- Severe Winds
- Winds may reach gale-force in strength in any of the areas where Wind Signal no. 2 is hoisted throughout the passage of Tropical Storm “FLORITA”. Strong winds (strong breeze to near gale strength) will be experienced within any of the areas where Wind Signal no. 1 is currently in effect.
- In the next 24 hours, gusts reaching strong breeze to near gale strength may be experienced (especially in the coastal and mountainous areas) over Bicol Region, Batangas, Mindoro Provinces, Marinduque, Romblon, Northern Samar, Antique, and Aklan as FLORITA begins to enhance the prevailing Southwest Monsoon.
Based on the track and intensity forecast, the highest possible wind signal that may be hoisted throughout the passage is TCWS #3.
- HAZARDS AFFECTING COASTAL WATERS
- Under the influence of Tropical Storm “FLORITA” and the prevailing Southwest Monsoon, a Gale Warning remains in effect over the northern, eastern, and southern seaboards of Luzon and western seaboard of Visayas. For more information, refer to Gale Warning #2 issued at 5:00 PM today.
- In the next 24 hours, the tropical storm and the Southwest Monsoon will also bring moderate to rough seas (1.2 to 2.8 m) over the western seaboards of Northern and Central Luzon and the eastern seaboards of Visayas and Mindanao. These conditions may be risky for those using small seacrafts. Mariners are advised to take precautionary measures when venturing out to sea and, if possible, avoid navigating in these conditions.
- TRACK AND INTENSITY OUTLOOK
- Tropical Storm “FLORITA” will continue generally moving slowly westward tonight before turning west-northwestward tomorrow early morning. On the forecast track, the tropical cyclone is forecast to maintain this heading until it makes landfall in the vicinity of the east coast of Isabela or Cagayan tomorrow morning. Afterwards, the center of FLORITA will traverse the rugged terrain of Northern Luzon before emerging over the West Philippine Sea tomorrow evening or on Wednesday early morning.
- “FLORITA” may further intensify into a severe tropical storm before its landfall. After landfall, there is a potential for slight weakening as FLORITA crosses the northern portion of Northern Luzon due to frictional effects of the rugged terrain. Outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility, this tropical cyclone is forecast to re-intensify into a severe tropical storm and may reach a peak intensity of 95 km/h on Wednesday evening.
Department of Education (DepEd) Class Suspension Guideline:
- DepEd Calls on parents to determine whether their children should go to school during typhoons, floods, and other calamities in the absence of official announcements from DepEd.
- In the absence of storm signal warnings, LGU are expected to announce whole-day class cancellations no later than 4:30AM or half-day class suspensions no later than 11:00AM.
- Storm signal warning declared by PAGASA between 10:00pm and 4:30AM reflects the whole day cancellation of classes in appropriate levels in the affected areas.
- Storm signal warnings declared by PAGASA by 11:00AM automatically suspend the same day’s afternoon classes at appropriate levels in the affected areas.
*Suspension of classes for the tertiary level (colleges and universities) will be at the discretion of school management.
Flight Cancellations in the Philippines
(We are still waiting for flight updates from Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, and AirAsia Philippines.)
Weather Updates: Some Classes for Tuesday, August 23, 2022, have been canceled in some areas due to nationwide inclement weather conditions.
Keep refreshing this page for more #WalangPasok updates.
Bookmark us, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our feeds to get the latest updates on class suspensions.
Searching for the best hotels and affordable flights? Check out our complete list of affordable hotels and resorts via Agoda, or you may also see available Airbnb properties in the city.